On the same day that Jen left for a 4-day trip to New Zealand (June 18th), someone decided to break into our apartment. I came home from work to find the front door ajar and the lights on. I then discovered that someone smashed my bedroom window, ransacked both my room and Jen's room, and took one of the few valuables we have here- Jen's laptop. Luckily we don't have a lot of treasures here and we didn't leave any cash lying around but they still took a few other things like jewelery and wine. (They must have been thirsty after all that effort to get in our apt!) Unfortunately the computer held ALL of my Fiji and Australia pics so they are now gone forever. RIP, photos! (Kari's lesson for the day- backup your photos!!)
I called the cops immediately and then called Kat who came to my rescue while we waited for the cops to show up. I also had to deal w/ getting my window replaced which turned out to be a lot more simple than I thought it would be considering it was after 7pm. It could have been a long, drawn-out evening but the cops and window repairman had come and gone within 2 hours of me getting home to find the mess.
I stayed with Kat for the night and the next day I met a forensics lady at my apt to look for fingerprints, etc. She said she thought she got a good hand and finger print but it's almost two weeks later we still haven't heard anything. Fingers crossed they catch the guy at some point! Now we just have to wait to get reimbursed for our missing items from the travel insurance we bought.
Jen really enjoyed New Zealand and hopes to go back to see more of it at some point but she didn't enjoy coming home to the news of the break-in. After a lot of thinking and negotiating with our real estate agent, she has decided she doesn't want to stay in the apt after I leave so our lease ends on July 14th which is the day after I start my travels.
My last day of work is Friday so things are really wrapping up here. My parents arrive just over 13 hours from now so it will be great to see them and show them around Sydney. There are a lot of exciting things planned while they are here so it should be a great visit. (And there will be a ton of photos for the blog!)
I haven't seen any pics from Jen's trip to NZ yet but here are two pics Kat took of my first meeting of Australian cops.
Filling out my first ever police report

Me and my new friends! (Names unknown)
No comments:
Post a Comment